Sometimes it can be difficult to acknowledge that your parents are aging. You want to think of them as the same vibrant and active people that they were when you are a child. There are times, however, when the reality hits you that your parents have gotten older and may need more assistance. This by no means needs to be a sad or painful realization. Home care is not about limiting your parents. In fact, it is about offering them the support and assistance to be is vibrant, active, productive, and energetic as they want to be.
Some of the things that you should look for when considering whether your parents may benefit from live-in care services include:
- They seem to be having more trouble getting around than they used to
- You have noticed, are they have reported, that they are not remaining compliant with their medication or other health plans their doctors have suggested
- They are not eating as well as they used to, or limiting their diet because they are able to prepare their meals for themselves anymore
- Their home is no longer as neat as he used to be, and they are having trouble tidying and doing laundry
- They don’t get out of the house as often as they used to and report missing participating in activities,
- They seem to have cognitive issues or trouble remembering things.
You know your parents better than anybody else. You can recognize when they are having difficulties that they didn’t have before. You also know how difficult this can be for them, and how much they probably don’t want to would knowledge that they are aging. Make sure that you let them know that live-in care services are there to provide them independence and a high quality of life. Tell them that their home care companion can take the stress of daily activities such as tidying the home, preparing meals, running errands, and trying to keep up with a medication regimen off of their shoulders. This will free up time to just enjoy life.
Oops! We could not locate your form.
Latest posts by Valerie VanBooven RN BSN (see all)
- Grandparents Guide to the Internet (InfoGraphic) - July 22, 2016
- Identity Theft Protection – What Seniors Need To Know To Protect Themselves - July 5, 2016
- Finding The Most Reliable Medical Alert System - May 6, 2016